Friday, April 22, 2011

Panelle and Cannoli make for a Good Friday.

Panelle Special, Tastiest 6 Bucks you are gonna spend at Gino's
So if you don't know, you are about to find out. On this Good Friday, I found my way to Brooklyn's 18th ave to enjoy some of my favorite Sicilian treats. Traditionally, Good Friday is a day that Catholics all over the world refrain from eating meat for religious reasons. So driving down 18th ave is a the perfect place to pick up some delicious vegetarian Italian fare, that would be absolutely, without a doubt, IMPOSSIBLE to find anywhere else but my favorite borough, Brooklyn. Gino's Focceria  on 72nd st and 18th ave, is the place to be. Ever try a Panelle Special? Panelle is a chick pea fritter made of fried chick pea flour batter, on a soft Brooklyn roll smothered in fresh oozing ricotta. They have the all kinds of fish salads, cold salads, rice balls, and potato croquets. The smell of the oil frying my food brings me back to when I was a kid. 
I don't need fancy, Gino's is perfect!
Maybe you are looking for a sweety treat? One block down, at the corner of 71st and 18th ave is the Mecca of all Italian Bakeries, Villabate Alba. When I walk in I get so distracted by all the delicious choices, I have to regroup..lol! I never tasted a fresher Sfogliatelli, a classic Italian pastry with ricotta filling and a cake-like consistency in a crunchy shell in my life. The cannoli is the creamiest. Everything is always consistently fresh. Everything I have ever gotten from this Bakery is delicious.
Pastry @ Villabate Alba




2 comments: