Monday, April 11, 2011

Mochi @ Trader Joes

Mochi are little balls of ice cream (about golf ball size) all wrapped up in a Japanese manju coating. Manju are Japanese confections with a sweet filling and a sort of glutinous outer layer made from mochi, or pounded rice cakes. This same outer layer is what surrounds the ice cream. They're dusted with rice flour so they don't stick to things. I first discovered these in Chinatown a few years ago. I was surprised to find them at my favorite new food spot...Trader Joes.
These are amazingly good. Trader Joe's usually has them in chocolate, strawberry, green tea, and mango flavors. The green tea and mango ones are excellent. I can take or leave the chocolate and strawberry ones.  Nothing very special about strawberry and chocolate when you can find Red Bean! They come six to a package, I can't wait to bring these to my sisters' house on Sunday for everyone to try!

3 comments:

  1. Nice D...cant wait to read your posts !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried the Green Tea Mochi last night.. not so tasty to me. Perhaps a different flavor would be better? We shall see.. :-)

    ReplyDelete