Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Kiss My Grits!

Pan Fried Polenta with Fresh Tomatoes and Cannelli Beans

During my last visit to Trader Joes, I picked up this peculiar fat tube of yellow mushy stuff. In all of my years of eating, preparing, cooking Italian food, I have never thought to try Polenta. I mean, I always knew it was corn meal, a classy version of grits, you can say, so knowing that I have passed on this staple of what I call the "Olive Garden" italian kitchen. Maybe because when I have seen it prepared, it was deep fried, or drenched in fatty sauces, not foxy. So tonight, I broke out the organic polenta and followed the recipe below. You can use any type of bean, I am thinking that if I did this again I could do a black bean, mango, corn salsa. It was a nice vegetarian meal, tasty, light and fresh. 

Ingredients
2 ½ cups chopped ripe tomatoes
1 cup canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup chopped fresh basil
½ teaspoon each salt & black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 (16 ounce) package prepared polenta, sliced into ¼-inch-thick rounds
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions


1. Stir together tomatoes, beans, basil, salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes to blend flavors. (I added a drizzle of olive oil.)

2. Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add half the polenta slices to skillet; cook until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes, turning once. Remove polenta from skillet. Repeat with remaining oil and polenta slices.

3. Arrange polenta on a serving plate. Spoon tomato-bean mixture on top. Sprinkle with cheese and garnish with basil.

Makes 4 servings

5 comments:

  1. It was good. Not great, but worth trying. A nice find for our little vegetarian friend. I may try again grilling on the bbq when it gets warm, with a tropical salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pic make it look delicious !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was good. It really is grits, so as long as whatever your topping it with is tasty, you are good to go. Thanks for stopping by thriteethings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks nice... you know I love cannellini beans.

    ReplyDelete